The KickMagic system is designed to be intuitive and consistent with your “normal” starting procedure.
A few safety interlocks and timeouts ensure proper operation and ease of use. This is a short overview. Please see the Operator’s Manual for complete information.
There are essentially four parts to using KickMagic:
- Select the air supply you want to use (shop air or onboard tank)
- Prep your bike for normal starting
- Start the bike with KickMagic sequence
- Go ride your bike – you don’t have to worry about turning it off as it will time out automatically
Air Supply: When you initially set up your bike with KickMagic you will determine the threshold air pressure that works for your particular motor. This will typically be in the 80 to 100 psi range and is adjusted at your home air compressor or on the onboard tank low pressure regulator, depending upon which source you use. Again, this is an initial set up procedure. Once you set the pressure for your bike, you leave it.
- Shop Air: Simply plug in your shop air supply to the quick disconnect fitting at the end of the system inlet hose. Leave it attached as long as you’d like. And, well, yes, unplug it when you head out for a ride.
- On-Board Air: You will be using one of three tanks – 50, 68 or 90 cubic inches that have a high pressure regular permanently attached and a spin on low pressure regulator with a female quick disconnect fitting. These will either be stored in a KickMagic satchel or a saddlebag of your choice. Plug in the inlet hose and leave it attached for your ride. Not a bad idea to unplug it when you put up the bike for the day.
Normal Starting Prep: Most Triumphs have ticklers, chokes, petcocks, etc. that you will set up per your normal starting procedure. This includes clearing the clutch if necessary and getting the kick starter positioned at maximum compression.
The best and most stable way to start a Triumph is on the center stand (not the side stand) and that is our recommendation when using KickMagic.
OK, now you are ready to enjoy the magic…
KickMagic Operation: The Dashboard features three light and two buttons, while the Proximity Switch senses when the kick start lever is in the READY position.
- Red – System is ON
- Yellow – System is READY
- Green – System is START-ing and supplying air
- Left – Turns the system ON and OFF
- Right – STARTS system if READY light is ON
- Proximity Switch
- Illuminates the YELLOW light if the system is ON and the kick start lever is in the READY position
- Off all other times
OK, at this point you have set the bike up to start. Here’s the sequence:
- Ignition ON
- KickMagic dash will give you a short self-test light show to indicate it is ready to use.
- Push LEFT button
- The RED light illuminates indicating the system is ON
- The light will automatically turn OFF after 20 seconds of inactivity. This means that once you start your bike, the system will automatically turn off – no need to do so.
- Position Kick Start lever to the READY position
- The YELLOW light illuminates indicating the system is ready to start
- This ensures your foot is in full control
- Push RIGHT button
- The GREEN light illuminates indicating that air pressure is available to START
- Air pressure remains for 5 seconds
- Kick start the bike
- Kickmagic reduces the input energy (impulse) by roughly 70% and improves the rotational speed by 35% on average. All things being equal, your bike will be easier to start and will start faster than a conventional kick.
- The kick start lever will remain pegged in the down position until the 5 second timeout is over, at which point the system will vent the actuator with a “whoosh” and return the kick start lever to the stowed position.
- This is the key to the ANTI KICKBACK feature of KickMagic. If the motor does kick back, the energy is absorbed by the actuator which is essentially a resilient air cushion protecting both you and your motor.
- You may attempt as many starts as necessary by repeating steps 3 to 5 above.
- As noted, once the bike is running the system will time out automatically and the RED light will extinguish.